This is our version of the traditional Baker Tent (or Campfire Tent), which has the wild functionality of a tarp AND the cosyness of a tent, combined in one shelter: a true home ‘out there’.
The Baker Tent experience is unique in that you can sit, and cook by the fire, protected from wind, rain or even scorching sun, looking at the vista of nature in front of your camp. When the day is done, you simply get in the back and snuggle up for the night. It is designed in such a way, so that the side ‘wings’ can be used for weather protection when under the porch, by the fire, then double up as doors for the back inside section. We think it is the ultimate tent: the perfect balance of simplicity and comfort in nature.
This heavy-duty cotton canvas, compared to most tent materials out there, gives a much more comfortable climate inside, because it is highly breathable, and doesn’t melt with a spark from the fire. The special character and the possibility of having a fire out front, makes this tent ideal for canoe-trips, Land Rover off-road adventures, Bushcraft camps and even back-garden camp-outs, but, due to its weight not exactly suitable for hiking trips.
We don’t include midge netting as an integral part of the tent, also because we find its not necessary, once the fire is on the beasts stay away, but also the netting lowers the lifetime of the tent, sparks could burn holes into it… There are some attachment points in the inside of the sleeping compartment though, which allow you to hang a separate netting, if you wish to use one.
Wild Canvas Baker Tent Elements
- 12oz poly/cotton heavy-duty canvas, water, rot and flame proofed.
- Colours: khaki green or matt sand
- green PVC for the base of the inner section, flame proofed
- wooden toggles for closing the wings/doors
- hand-made ash poles: the ridge pole in 2 connected sections for ease of packing, front poles adjustable in height to be able to lower one edge of the tarp in rainy weather.
- hand-made ash pegs for guy ropes, light-weight aluminium pegs for pegging back section out
- room to sleep 2 people inside and, when sitting around the fire, space to invite a few guests. If not too gusty and wet, people can sleep by the fireplace.
- easy and quick to pitch on all sorts of ground
4.5′ height x 7′ width x 4.5′ depth, plus another 4.5′ for the porch.
(1.40m height x 2.15m width x 1.40m depth, plus another 1.40m depth for the porch)
8.5 kg for the canvas part
6kg for the poles
Complete Set of Canvas and Poles:
£ 520.00 plus postage. No VAT.
Canvas part only (we will provide instruction of how to make the poles):
£ 390.00 plus postage. No VAT.
Please contact to order or use the paypal checkout button below.
Want to read our Baker Tent story?